Thursday, June 7, 2007

The Weakest Link?

Todays "Apple a Day" by Baltimore Sun's David Zeiler is called Apple's calculated risk: The iPhone. He presents most of the arguments of both sides of the iPhone-will-soar and iPhone-will-flop debate, before siding with the "monster success" contingent.

As I was reading it, I kept wondering what he thought the "risk" was. Using Firefox's excellent Find feature, I discovered that the word risk does not even appear in the article. The closest thing to it is "taking a risky leap into the cell phone business". I concluded that Mr. Zeiler is referring to the risk of flopping. Meanwhile I came up with a different risk, or should I say, a different "risky leap".

I'm talking about Apple's risky leap into bed with the new AT&T (I started to write "monogamous leap" or "leap into monogamy". Then I realized it's one-sided monogamy - AT&T sells other phones, too. That's beside the point). Mr. Zeiler writes that Apple is creating an almost irresistable urge to try the iPhone in all put the most technophic. Thing is, when consumers try the iPhone, they will also be trying the new AT&T. AT&T can make or break the iPhone experience.

That's a risk that comes with partnering.

Apple has historically avoided that risk by going alone and making "the whole widget". Yeah, Right! Actually, Apple's AIM partnership (Apple, IBM, Motorola) almost killed Apple, and Apple's foray in Mac OS licensing was about to drive the final nail in the coffin. Rokr, anyone? That's why many iPhone predictors expected Apple to setup it's own cellular service. These days Apple also partners with manufacturers and suppliers.

My previous posts express my belief that AT&T has the ability to make the iPhone experience all that consumers desire. They just have to execute. I predict the weakest link will be component suppliers trying to keep up with early demand.